Thursday, February 4, 2010

Week 4 - RSS Feeds and Twitter

Today I explored RSS feeds. I set up a blog-lines account and subscribed to a number of feeds, some of which were blogs like "Scooper" on the Auckland City Libraries website. I thought this would be a good way to keep up with the latest news in the developement of libraries. I was a bit dissapointed to find that some of my favourite blogs didn't have a subscription option, for example, Simon Reynolds music blog, Blissed Out. I thought RSS feeds would be a good way to deliver library news, or could replace traditional news-letters. For example library patrons could subscribe to the "library news-letter blog" to keep up with the latest news at their local library.

Twitter

I joined Twitter today as well and added as people I follow a few bands and artists that I like as well as the National Library. I am fine about using flicker to follow institutions or public enterprises but I don't like the idea of using it for my personal life. It seems like an invasion of privacy, as does the way it collates information and trends. I like a bit of mystery.

Here is a link to my twitter page http://twitter.com/butterpeanut1

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi GN
Well done at having a look at all the different RSS Feeds up there! Next up Library related enjoy!! :-)